Signing up for courses can be overwhelming and frustrating. Utilize the tips on this page to make sure your registration process goes as smoothly as possible.
Preparing for Course Registration
- Know your pick time: This is labeled “Enrollment Appointment” in Student Admin. Click here for a tutorial on how to view your pick time.
- Meet with your advisor: Most first-year students are required to see their advisor before registration. However, it's always a good idea to schedule a meeting so that you know you are on track.
- Check if you have a hold on your account: Certain holds can prevent you from being able to register. Click here for a tutorial on how to see if you have any holds.
- Add required courses/courses of interest in your shopping cart: It's a smart idea to add courses to your shopping cart prior to your pick time. This can make the registration process run smoother when your pick time arrives.
- Search for General Education Courses: Use the guest access to search for W courses, E courses or content area courses. Click here for instructions on how to search for general education courses
- Always have extra courses ready in your shopping cart: Courses in your shopping cart are not being held for you. This is why it's a good idea to have some backups on hand just in case your top choices fill up.
Registering for Courses
- Enroll at your appointed time: NEVER put off registration past your pick time. You should enroll in classes as soon as you're allowed. The earlier you register, the better your choices.
- Check that you are enrolling for the desired term: The system often defaults to the next upcoming term, such as Summer or Winter. If the term is incorrect, click the green “Change Term” button to select the correct term.
- Know how to add, drop and swap: Here are tutorials on how to add, drop, and swap courses.
- Be flexible: If you really want a class, be flexible about the section and the time. If a course you want is closed, add something in its place but keep checking the system to see if a seat eventually opens.
- Double check your enrollment: Click here for a tutorial on how to view your course schedule.
- Swap, don’t drop if you need to alter your schedule. This will ensure that you will not lose your current course if the one you want doesn’t pan out.
- Check your course schedule the day before classes: It is possible that the classroom location for one or more of your courses could be changed. Be sure to check your schedule the day before classes to make sure you know where you're going!
- Know the Add/Drop deadlines: Available on the Academic Calendar.